Saturday, September 17, 2011

La casita!

Wow, another week gone by and was it ever a week. Definitely the busiest I have been since I arrived here in Nicaragua - although that is not too terribly hard to acheive since the mainstay of life here is the ability to sit and chat with your vecinos. If things go the way I hope there will be a flurry of posts in the next day or two, but as with all things in Nica, plans are always subject to change.
This past Sunday I moved out of the house where I had been staying and into this lovely little house that you see below. And when I say little, I really mean tiny. It is probably about 12 feet front to back and then somewhere between 25 and 40 feet left to right. But it has a bedroom, a little kitchen-y area and a bathroom. Since my plan is to spend as much time talking and getting to know other people - ie out of the house - this small size really shouldnt be a problem. That being said, I did need to spend most of this week getting things arranged and finding things to use as shelves and whatnot. But now its all set and good to go!



My room. The mosquitero - or mosquito net - is fantastic. Like climbing into my own protective shell every night. The shelves were a huge success - so happy that my stuff is no longer on the ground. The fan in the background is super clutch too!
My little kitchen with my bumping sound system too. The bike is an absolute neccessity now. The barrio where I am now living is about 1 mile from the hospital and that makes for a long walk in the hot, hot sun. But it affords me a chance to know another part of El Sauce and an entirely different group of people. And with the bike, it's not a big deal. Pretty great though that I had the fork replaced, new brakes, new BB, a trued front wheel and some cables for a whole $25! And all done within 2 hours. Great service here in the Sauce. Still good an creaky but it works - and I even get to keep my single speed-ness!

 A toilet! No seat though. And the ever neccesary water buckets - can never be sure when the water will be there or not.

The backyard - unfortunately I do not have the same shady and fruit bearing trees as my neighbors. Although, I think I will try and plant some veggies - lets see how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment